Ditch those high fructose corn syrup filled artificially flavored yogurts from store and make your own home made yogurt flavored yogurt with seasonal fruits. Not only is it more delicious but easier on your pocket too and an immense sense of satisfaction of making yogurt from scratch. This recipe for a delicious mango yogurt is a family recipe taught to me by my mother , with a minor improvisation. Her recipe involves using tiny cut pieces of mango while I have blended the mango in the yogurt adding the vibrant yellow color of the mangoes to the yogurt. For the mango yogurt it is advisable to use a naturally sweet fresh mango, as I personally avoid adding extra sweetness using sugar as much as possible.
- 500 ml whole milk
- 1 large mango diced
- 2 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 5 fresh Basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon powdered milk
1. In a saucepan heat 500 ml of whole milk. Bring it to a boil .
2. Reduce heat and let the milk simmer stirring it occasionally on medium heat. The milk should be reduced by half ( about 250 ml).
3. Remove the milk from the heat and add the powdered milk. At this stage you may add some sugar to taste if you prefer a sweeter taste in yogurt. Let the milk mixture cool to 98 F.
4. Add the diced mango ( it is essentially that the mango is at room temperature hence remove it from the fridge at least 1 hr before starting the prep), the milk mixture , 2 table spoon plain yogurt in a food processor and blitz. The temperature of this mixture should be roughly between 85-90 F.
5. Pour this mixture into small glass bowls as shown. Set it aside at room temperature, undisturbed for the next 5 hrs or till the yogurt is set.
6. Refrigerate for couple of hours and then serve with a chiffonade of basil leaves as shown in the picture.