This refreshingly light and healthy watermelon gazpacho with a skewer of pan seared shrimp is a perfect quick fix for weeknight dinners or as an appetizer at a dinner party. The gazpacho can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to two days . Hence you can make it ahead on a weekend and enjoy after a tiring Monday in the summer heat. A brief history of the origin of gazpachos can be found here.
- 250-300 gm Watermelon
- 1 tomato
- 1 deseeded cucumber
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 drops of Tabasco sauce
- 250 gm shrimp with shell
- 1 pint of beer
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine the watermelon,tomato,cucumber,salt,pepper,sugar,apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tabasco in a food processor and blitz till the ingredients are combined and well liquefied.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hrs to a maximum of 2 days.
- Serve it in a mason jar as shown in the pic. Alternatively you can also use a tall glass or a martini glass. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with chopped scallions.
- Combine the beer and the Old Bay in a small pot and bring to boil. Add the unpeeled shrimp into the pot and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain the beer and remove the shrimp. Peel and devein the shrimp.
- Season the shrimp with Old Bay and toss it in browned butter in a pan. The shrimp is ready to be served and can be arranged in a skewer as shown in the picture.