“Darker and Stormier ” is a homage to the classic dark rum cocktail “Dark and Stormy”. Dark and Stormy is an interesting cocktail, not just because of it’s taste but rather the fact that it is one of the few cocktails that you will come across whose recipe is trademark protected by law, at least in the United States. The trademark filed with the U.S Patent and Trademark Office belongs to the Gosling Brothers Ltd, and calls for the use of Gosling Black Seal Rum and ginger beer. British navy sailors used to receive rum as ration in the 19th century and it is believed that ginger beer traveled from England to Bermuda, the home of Gosling Brothers distillery where this combination originated. While it may sound outrageous to use Cuban rum instead of classic Gosling Brothers Black Seal, Havana Club has a smokey and complex flavor which elevates the cocktail transporting your mind to the Caribbean as you sip and enjoy the bold spicy flavors of the drink. Another unique feature about this cocktail is rather than using a regular ginger beer, you can try out the delicious homemade ginger ale. The secret behind making it “Darker and Stormier” however lies in the intense spicy sugar syrup made from spices found in the Caribbean.
- 2 Oz Havana Club 7 years aged ( or any other dark rum)
- 1/2 Oz Spicy Sugar Syrup (recipe below)
- 4-5 Oz Ginger Ale (recipe below)
For the Ginger Ale
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Sparkling Water
For the Sugar Syrup
- 3-4 allspice
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
1. Prepare the sugar syrup by adding the spices, sugar and water and bringing it to a boil till the sugar dissolves and letting it completely cool down.
2. Prepare a ginger syrup by adding grated ginger, water , sugar and bringing it to a low boil and letting it simmer for 3-4 minutes. Strain the mixture to remove grated ginger strands and you are left with the syrup. In a highball glass , add ice-cubes then add 2 Oz ginger syrup and fill three quarters with sparkling water.
3. In the glass add the sugar syrup and rum. Stir gently but thoroughly and voila you have the perfect “darker and stormier” ready! Garnish with a tangerine wheel and serve as shown in the picture.