Eating on a budget need not imply eating poorly. Sometimes, you are running low on cash or maybe want to challenge your limits by cooking a dish which would be a talking point among your friends without splurging on expensive ingredients.Green Pea Rolls with roasted Pumpkin Hummus ( butternut squash can be used instead of pumpkin) is the perfect solution for you. Delicious, crunchy and paired with the creamy hummus dip, this dish is bound to be a topic of conversation. The best part being ,its easy to make on a budget without compromising the wow factor.
- 500 gm green peas fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds(crush them before use)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Salt and Pepper to season
1. Fill a saucepan with water half way and bring it to a boil. Add the peas and boil till they are soft .Then, drain the water and season with salt and pepper . Blitz the green peas in a food processor with a tablespoon of water till a fine paste is formed.
2. In a cast iron pan heat the olive oil. Add fennel, cumin ,crushed coriander seeds and chili flakes and cook for about a minute. Then add the pea paste over the spices and keep cooking for 4-5 minutes till the oil with spices is absorbed leaving a smooth stuffing mixture.
Roasted Pumpkin Hummus
- 250 gm pumpkin chopped into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Tahini
- Salt to season
- 150 gm boiled or canned chick peaks
1. Roast pumpkins in oven 350 F for 35 min after seasoning with paprika, salt and cumin seeds. Check for doneness, if they are soft remove from the oven and let it cool.
2. In a food processor, add tahini, chickpeas and the pumpkin plus the olive oil and blitz till a smooth creamy mixture is formed.
- 5-6 slices of multi grain bread (depending on how many rolls you would like to make)
- Canola oil for frying
- White Sesame Seeds and chopped parsley for garnish
- Using a little water, moisten the bread. You can use left over bread for this recipe and it is a good way to use up excess bread in your fridge.
- Add the pea stuffing and roll the bread , with a little moisture seal the ends so that the stuffing doesn’t come out.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry the bread till golden brown. Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped parsley
and serve with hummus as shown in the picture.