I have been on a blogging hiatus during the holidays, hence I welcome my readers with the first post of 2016! Here’s wishing you all a very happy , fun filled and prosperous 2016! .Over the next few posts I will be sharing with you some of the recipes I cooked over the holidays and suitable for this season. It will cover various topics such as cooking for special occasions , embracing the season and utilizing leftovers. This post focusses on utilizing leftovers, especially overripe bananas which you were considering throwing away. Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt frosting is not only an excellent way to utilize overripe bananas but it’s very healthy, packed with nutrients and gives you the indulgence of cake without being as heavy. Guilt free indulgence is often welcome during a season of rich meats, cakes and heady boozes!
- cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 th cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon dessicated coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt ( any strained yogurt would do)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Chilli chocolate
- 2 tablespoon chocolate chips
- A pinch of salt
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients except the sugar, the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix throughly to ensure no lumps are formed.
- In a mixer mix the butter and sugar first, followed by addition of the egg. When this mixture is thoroughly mixed add the mashed bananas and process it till a smooth creamy mixture is formed. You can add this mixture to the bowl containing the flour and beat throughly or add the flour to the mixer slowly to form the batter for the banana bread.
- While typically banana bread is made in a loaf pan, I have used a round bottom cake pan about an inch thick and 8 inches in diameter. Once the mixture is read add the vanilla flavor, desiccated coconut and chocolate chips and give it a nice stir with a spatula.Do not run them in the mixer.
- Pour the bread mix in the cake pan. Pre-heat oven till 350 C and cook for about 45-50 minutes or longer till a toothpick inserted comes out completely clean.
- To make the frosting beat Greek yogurt in a bowl and add the honey, continue beating for about 3-4 minutes till a thick creamy frosting is formed. Spread the frosting on the bread and shave some chili chocolate and serve as shown in the picture.