Spring time is festival time! Since the dawn of humanity Spring has been welcomed by us all over the globe with a slew of festivals. Over the years they have been in reverence to religious figures but the theme has remained the same welcoming of spring. Between March 17th- March 27th , we have three major festivals St Patrick’s Day celebrated in honor of St Patrick the patron saint of Ireland, Holi a festival of colors celebrated in South Asia and growing rapidly in popularity across the world and lastly Easter celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ!
In honor of spring time and festivals across the world and in anticipation of rising temperatures I present to you watermelon agua fresca! Agua Fresca translates to fresh water and is a very common drink in Mexico and the Caribbean. It is a brilliant thirst quencher. Vodka is added to spike up things a bit in honor of the celebratory mood around the world. It would also work well with white rum. This drink is a perfect brunch accompaniment. It stays in the refrigerator for up-to 3 days, though you must always add the soda before drinking. The best feedback I have received on this drink so far is “It makes me feel like I am in a state of eternal bliss”. Here’s hoping the drink brings you lots of happiness this festive season!
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- 1/2 large water melon diced, de-seeded
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 limes juiced
- 3-4 teaspoon sugar(optional)
- Soda Water
- Using a food processor juice the watermelon. Using a sieve filter the watermelon juice from the pulp.
- In a large pitcher combine the watermelon juice, water and lime juice and stir. Let it stand for 15 minutes. The chill for at least 2 hrs.
- In a highball glass add the vodka, watermelon juice and top off with chilled soda water. Garnish with a watermelon wedge and lime as shown. The remaining watermelon juice can be stored for later use.