On a hot summer day when you are stuck with work far away from the beach, wondering “When can I hit the beach again? Boy ,do I miss the ocean in this sea of humans and traffic !” , your mind starts wandering towards the last time you took a holiday at the seaside. Beaches for me are characterized by a compulsive desire to swim in the ocean, beach volleyball, eating lots of seafood and rum! A trip to the beach isn’t complete without a good rum based cocktail whose tropical, island flavors can transport you to the beach even when you are surrounded by concrete and humans trying to get ahead in the rat race, doing whatever they can to survive, hustling their way through busy metropolitan cities. The drink takes your mind off for a moment and you can almost hear the splashing waves and the sound of the drums.
The key to this citrus rum cooler is to make a great citrus mix in advance which can be refrigerated and can be enjoyed as such with a few cubes of ice. The citrus mix is essentially a lemonade made using lemons,oranges and sweet limes. If you do not get sweet limes you can substitute with bergamot oranges.
I like to enjoy the drink as such, however if you are looking for some food ideas to go with the drink, do check out my recipe for grouper cheek tacos and grilled prawns with tabouleh salad. Both have great tropical flavors and go well with this drink. For this drink, I have used Old Monk’s White Rum. Old Monk is quite a legendary rum in India as they made a sizable customer base with zero advertising simply by word of mouth, very rare in the commercial liquor industry, however any white rum works. The coconut rum is optional, however it does add an extra flavor punch
So, what are your favorite drinks to enjoy by the seaside? Do let me know in the comments!
- 1 Cup freshly squeezed Orange juice (requires 3 large oranges)
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice (Requires 3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup Sweet Lime Juice (requires 2 large sweet limes or you can use Bergamot orange)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup sugar (adjust according to your taste, I am not a fan of very sweet drinks)
- Ice Cubes
- 1.5 Oz White Rum
- 1 Oz Coconut Rum
- Slices of orange for garnish
- In a saucepan bring 1 cup of water and sugar to a boil.
- In a pitcher transfer the sugar syrup, orange, lemon and sweet lime juices along with the zest and add ice cubes.
- Refrigerate for 6-8 hrs, the citrus mix is ready.
- In a high ball glass add the orange slices, white and coconut rum, ice cubes and fill the glass with the citrus mix and serve as shown in the picture