Superbowl weekend is here, one of the most popular sporting events of the year! Also, the only time TV viewers are excited about commercials! The New England Patriots take on the Atlanta Falcons, who will be looking to deny Tom Brady , the star quarterback of the Patriots his 5th Superbowl ring.
With the festive season ending and well into 2017 many of us are looking to keep up New Year’s resolutions and more often than not struggling with it. One of the most common New Year’s resolution is to eat healthier . However the challenge lies in keeping it up due to the pedantic nature of healthier foods, I mean after all you really are never craving for a bowl of quinoa are you? Definitely not while watching sports!
To help you maintain your new year’s resolutions and have a fun Game-day weekend cookout I will share with you simple chicken recipes cooked three ways all under twenty minutes. They require minimum prep , are healthy and do not compromise on flavor. The best thing about these simple under 20 fixes are the fact that you can do them indoors on a stove top grill! No need to fancy grilling equipment to enjoy the flavors of summer on a cold wintery game day!
We will prepare three different cuts the breasts, thighs and lollipop. Chicken breasts usually are aren’t the most tender cut of meat hence need a little bit of help . It’s best to brine chicken breasts before grilling. I prefer brining for at least 24 hrs but not exceeding 36 hrs for a juicy chicken.
Grilled Chicken breast with Spinach and Tahini sauce
- 1 Whole chicken breast brined
- 200 gm fresh spinach
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Juice of i whole lemon
- Salt to season
- A spinach bunch
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Saute the spinach in a pan with salt and pepper
- Season the brined chicken breast with with Old Bay seasoning. A guide to Old Bay and alternatives can be found here.
- Heat your grill and cook each side for 6-8 minutes.Check for doneness.
- While the chicken is cooking in a small bowl combine salt, lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil and tahini to make the tahini sauce.
- Saute the spinach in a pan with salt and pepper till it’s wilted.
- Now plate your chicken as shown in the picture sliced on top of the spinach and drizzled with Tahini sauce.
Chicken Lollipops with BBQ Sauce
Chicken lollipops are essentially the bone end of the winglet or the thigh where the meat is cut and pushed down giving it a lollipop like appearance.
- 6-8 chicken lollipops.
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- In a deep dish pan heat the butter and rest of the the ingredients till they are heated and dissolved. Set aside. Alternatively you can use a store bought Barbeque sauce to save time!
- Season the lollipop with salt and pepper and grill
- Grill the lollipop for 2-3 minutes on one side and then turn over. Apply a coating of the bbq sauce on the lollipop turn over and apply the coating to the other side. Now grill further for 2 minutes each side. Apply a layer of bbq sauce before serving as shown.
Chicken Thighs with Teriyaki Ginger Glaze
Chicken thighs are the tastiest part of the chicken, rich in taste the dark meat has more fat hence more flavor. Not the healthiest cut but hey you saved calories with the breasts and lollipop so why not a little indulgence on game day! Of course you can make it healthier by choosing a skinless option. Also I recommend to always buy bone in thighs as it accounts for a lot of flavor. You can also use a store bought Teriyaki sauce for this recipe.
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 4 chicken thighs skin on bone in, dried and seasoned with salt and pepper
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, rice wine vinegar and mirin in a pan and heat on a medium to low flame till the sugar is dissolved. You may have to add a little water.
- Toss the thighs skin side down and cook for 5 minutes then flip over. Apply a coat of teriyaki glaze and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Flip over apply glaze and repeat for further 3 minutes on each side. The grill should be hot to ensure the thighs are cooked through,it’s best to check with a meat thermometer in the part closest to the bone, it should read at least 170 F to be safe!
- Plate with finely sliced onions and key lime as shown. Enjoy!
Grilled chicken is best enjoyed with a crisp lager or a nice refreshing iced tea! Enjoy the Super-bowl and may the best team win !